NY Post's Parallel Worlds Celebrates Sonic the Hedgehog #250 with Sonic's Top 20 Moments! Jul2
7/2/2013 1:00 PM
NY Post's pop culture blog Parallel Worlds helped us celebrate Sonic the Hedgehog #250 this week with a list of the top twenty way past cool Sonic moments! Here is the full list:
20. Where it all began! 20 years ago, Sonic the Hedgehog burst forth from the Sega Genesis to his own animated series, eventually landing in the pages of Archie Comics.
19. The Sonic comics’ most popular artist ever, Patrick “Spaz” Spaziante, makes his cover debut! "SPAZ" continues his Sonic the Hedgehog cover work to this day!
18. The Eggman Cometh! A hero is only as compelling as his arch nemesis, and when the evil Dr. Robotnik made his transformation into the nefarious DR. EGGMAN complete, the entire Sonic comic universe shook in terror!
17. Sonic is a force to reckoned with, no question, but even the most powerful heroes need back-up sometimes. Enter: The Freedom Fighters! When this team joined together to fight for freedom, the villains of the planet took notice!
16. It’s the crossover event of the year, where two video game legends meet for the first time EVER! Nothing beats a classic comic book team up and when Sonic and Mega Man’s worlds collide, anything can and will happen! (Including both Sonic and Mega Man going SUPER together in the upcoming conclusion to that very story line!)
15. Sonic and friends have been giving the nefarious Dr. Eggman trouble since they were barely up and walking – like we saw in this flash(WAY)back! The never ending battle will rage on, right after nap time…
14. A blast from the past as Sonic revisited his video game roots in the historic, time shifting storyline, “Sonic: Genesis.”
13. For every good hero there has to be an anti-hero. … Just when you thought Sonic was the only hedgehog on the block, Shadow the Hedgehog burst onto the scene! Shadow eventually launched the Sonic Universe spin-off series!
12. It was not one, but TWO scuffles of the spines in Dr. Eggman’s ultimate battle fortress: the Death Egg! Silver Sonic has but one objective: Destroy Sonic. It’s a shame, under the right circuit-stances, they could have been friends!
11. When the Sega Dreamcast and the videogame Sonic Adventure debuted, it was time for the Sonic comics to give the blue blur and his pals a face-lift! Enter: Modern Sonic!
10. Every so often a giant robot master war breaks out in Sonic’s world. At least he has back -up though, right? Here’s a little battle the two blue heroes should be able to manage: it’s Sonic and Mega Man vs. every evil robot master!
9. Knuckles the Echidna has fought side-by-side with Sonic numerous times over the years, becoming a hero in his own right. 2012's "Endangered Species" storyline saw Rad Red take on challenges he had never even dreamed he would have to face!
8. When the Freedom Fighters disbanded, Team Fighters and Team Freedom sprung up in their place to tackle challenges both home and abroad!
7. Doctor Eggman hit a new low when he placed his minion Snively in solitary confinement. When and if Snively will bust loose is anyone’s guess...
6: Possibly the most shocking moment in Sonic’s history was the reveal of Mecha Sally. Princess Sally is roboticized, creating an instant enemy out of his former gal pal.
5: In case you’d forgotten, Sonic is the fastest living thing on Earth. Even lens flare has trouble keeping up with the fast-paced and action-packed debut of the “Sonic X” comic series! Let us all take a moment and remember that Sonic and Eggman (or "El Gran Gordo") squared off in a luchador match in this series. MORE THAN ONCE.
4. Enter: Metal Sonic. When Sonic clashes with his metal counterpart, the stakes are always raised sky high. The metallic menace made his debut in the Sonic CD videogame adaptation storyline in Sonic the Hedgehog No. 25!
3. As if Sonic weren’t cool enough already, after collecting every Chaos Emerald he turns Super Sonic—which is bad news for anyone who gets in his way. During the "Order from Chaos" storyline, Sonic and his friends went super to defeat the fiercest villains they had ever faced!
2. Sonic—defeated by Eggman?! In this milestone issue, Sonic continues to fight the good fight. But even the best heroes can’t always come out on top, especially if they’re going up against the evil Dr. Eggman.
1. Our hero triumphs over Eggman (now that’s more like it!), in Sonic the Hedgehog No. 200! … But for how long?
Sonic the Hedgehog #250, part 9 of "Worlds Collide," hits comic shops on Wednesday, July 3rd!